Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ruth = Beautiful!

I am going to be sharing about Ruth from the Bible soon to a group of women and that has my mind stirred about one of my favorite drama's, Beautiful!

In 2004 God stirred my heart to write the drama Beautiful, a modern day story of the spiritual application of Ruth. Ruth's name means beautiful. Our Pastor had just taken us through this book and I fell in love with the story and with our heroic character!

Since then I have written so much about the story that it is now in a possible book form. Though I am not sure anything will ever come of it, writing the story of Beautiful and developing it further has been an awesome journey for me. So I have decided to share it! I will be posting my "chapters" if you will right here on the blog. Because its fun and because I need to be courageous and just do it. (See my post on courage here.)

I love Ruth because she was brave. She first of all married a man from a completely different culture and background than hers. Though I must say it is very telling of the state of the family that the sons were not taking Hebrew women as wives. And right away tragedy strikes and she is widowed. Now many of us would just run back to the arms of family and what we know to be comfort and secure, however Ruth pressed on in her new life. Whatever possessed her to do this? I am continually pondering this thought when I read the book of Ruth. My answer is it can only be God. And even when her grieving Mother-in-law pleads with her to go back to her own people, and this was her "out" should she ever want to take it, she refused.

Brave and determined. But even more than that is she had the most sincere and loving heart. She was not about to leave Naomi on her own. Ruth was a caretaker. She likely had an idea of what Naomi may be facing alone. No provision, no family home to return to, no strength or youth to provide for herself. Naomi was Ruth's family now and Ruth purposed not to run but to follow her whatever that may lead to. So exciting!

If you have not read the book, do. Take time with it. Let it settle in your heart and mind. We are all Ruth, brought into a family that was not originally our own, set on a journey to follow after a Redeemer that would radically change our lives and give to us the promise of an eternal heritage.

Thank you Jesus for your true promises and for blessing us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places! Ephes 1:3

No comments: