Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Attention Deficit Cooking Disorder = ADCD

Seriously, I am recovering from this. This is a post or series, hmm we will have to see about that, about my cooking journey.

First off let me say I in no way whatsoever have any type of attentive, attention, deficit, hyperactivity disorders or the likes of which. Nor do I poke fun at these. However when it comes to cooking, that is an entirely different matter altogether.

Here are a few thoughts about my past cooking philosophies...
You know you have ADCD if you frequently serve cereal or ice cream for dinner, or secretly want to.
You know you have ADCD if you try to get out of cooking as much as possible reasoning that you have a lifetime of meals to prepare, you are simply pacing yourself.
You know you have ADCD when you eat breakfast for dinner more than twice a week,
You know you have ADCD when you know where all the good dollar, $5, and buy one get one free restaurant deals are.
You know you have ADCD when the most important element of any recipe is preparation time.
You know you have ADCD when after sampling at Costco you wonder if that can count for dinner.
You know you have ADCD if you dread a trip to the grocery store like you dread a trip to the dentist.
And finally you know you have ADCD when your six year old requests a fend for yourself night as her birthday dinner!

I know, sad. But some of you relate, I know you do. And it's not that I couldn't or didn't ever cook. I did cook plenty. And it's not that my food tasted bad, my kids thought I was wonderful cook but now they know the difference for sure :) but I just really didn't love it.

However I have changed, I am recovered. Over the last several years my tastes have changed for one. I feel as though I have gained a more refined palate. I spent a few years working in catering and learning more about food and fine foods. It had a great effect on me. I realized that its not always easiest to prepare packaged processed foods. I realized that my body felt better after eating more whole foods, fresh foods. I read some books about eating organic and watched "Super Size Me" and yeah I about threw up.

I changed. And I learned that I could enjoy cooking for the creativity of it.

And the outcome has been amazing. So these are my cooking tales. Not wild and only mildly entertaining, but a journey none the less.

So whats for dinner tonight?

Black Bean Chili soup! I can not get enough of that stuff and my family loves it too. Here is the recipe!
1 lb ground turkey(I also make this with shredded chicken breast)
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1/2 a green or yellow bell pepper chopped
Diced tomatoes two or three small ones or 1 canned
1 can diced green chili's(sometimes I use a cup to 1.5 c Salsa or a can of Rotel)
Garlic powder aprox. 1 tbls
Seasoning salt 1 tsp
Chili Powder 1 tbls
Cummin 1/2 tbls

Brown turkey in a deep pan or pot. Add in the veggies and beans, add in seasonings to taste, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. We like this with corn chips or tortillas, some grated cheese and possibly a dollop of sour cream. Yummy goodness and Gluten Free.

Happy Eating!

No comments: